Toggle navigation
Nbgsresearchdb
Select a table
Obituaries
Headstones
Weddings
Births
Churches & Parishes
First families
Profiles:People of the Miramichi
Sign In
Admin login here ->
Admin login here ->
Sign In
NB Genealogy Association-Miramichi
Research Database v1.1 CBT Technologies
Search Help
Churches & Parishes
Churches parish details
Loading ...
Id no
Unique id number for this record
00000016
Parish Name
*
Parish where this church is located
Alnwick Parish
Blackville Parish
Blissfield Parish
Chatham Parish
Derby Parish
Glenelg Parish
Hardwick Parish
Ludlow Parish
Nelson Parish
Newcastle Parish
North Esk Parish
Rogersville Parish
South Esk Parish
Church name
Name of this church
Address
Church address
738 rue Principale
Neguac, N.B.
Status
*
Is this church ACTIVE or INACTIVE. If unsure select UNKOWN
UNKOWN
ACTIVE
INACTIVE
Office ph
Phone number for the church office
Manse ph
Phone number for this church manse (if active)
Church ph
Phone number for the church
Email
Current email address of this church (if active)
Church website
Church photo
Maximum file size allowed: 100 KB.
Allowed file types: jpg, jpeg, gif, png
Error: This file type is not allowed. Only {FileTypes} files can be uploaded
Error: The file you uploaded exceeds the maximum allowed size of {MaxSize} KB
Church history
*
Paragraph that details some of the information about this church.
Before the first Acadians came to Neguac in the 1750’s, Catholic missionaries were in the area ministering to the Micmac nation in Burnt Church. The Acadians, when they came, did not see priests often as they were served by one missionary whose jurisdiction covered a large portion of the Maritimes.
The first church registered in Neguac was opened in 1769. Since there were still no resident priests, lay people baptised, buried, and took promises of marriage.
The first church in Neguac was built in 1843 on land donated by the Allain family. This church building was named St. Bernard’s by Bishop Joseph Octave Plessis.
The second church in Neguac was a stone one built in 1910, and blessed in 1925 by Bishop Chiasson of Chatham. This church burned in 1945. A new church was started almost immediately and completed in 1948.
This church is of modern Roman style, with a mix of Gothic. A stone structure, built largely from the stone of the former church, it featured many interesting artistic touches such as: an immense fresco in the sanctuary by a well-known Italian artist, a stained glass window by a famed Italian artist, altars of marble from Verona and Africa, forged iron communion table, sanctuary lamps from an important Montreal artist, and an old painting of the baptism of Christ brought from a French church during the French Revolution.
Today, St. Bernard’s church ministers to 1000+ families in the Neguac area.
St. Bernard's is part of the Diocese of Bathurst, Parish of St. Francis of Assisi.
Cemetery info
Cemetery info such as location, when established etc.
CEMETERY USED:
(1) St. Bernard’s (old); (2) St. Bernard’s (new)
LOCATION OF CEMETERY:
(1) 740 rue Principale, Neguac; (2) Across from 1412 rue Principle, Neguac
DATES OF CEMETERY:
(1) 1856-present; (2) 2005-present
Clergy list
List of clergy that have served this church
Missionaries:
Jean-Baptiste-Marie Castanet (1796-1797)
Louis Joseph Desjardins (1800-1801)
René-Pierre Joyer (1798-1805)
Urbain Orphray (1806-1810)
François-Mathias Huot (1807-1813)
Charles French (1813-1815)
Joseph-Édouard Morisset (1815-1818)
Joseph Bélanger (1818-1819)
Thomas Cook (1819-1824)
François-Norbert Blanchet (1824)
William Dollar (1824-1833)
Michael Egan (1834-1838)
J.-M. Madran (1836-1838)
Richard Verecker (1839-1842)
François-Xavier-Stanislas Hianvu dit LaFrance (1843-1852)
Ferdinand Gauvreau (1852-1867)
Priests:
Joseph Théberge (1866-1908)
George-B. Gauvin (1908-1917)
Joseph-B. Saindon (1917-1922)
Alphée Babineau (1922-1926)
François Bergeron (1926-1933)
François-J. Lamonde (1933-1938)
Joseph Marie Arthur Gallien (1938-1961)
Cléo Haché (1961-1968)
Aristide Léger (1968-1978)
Armel Audet (1978-1983)
Lévi Arseneau (1983-1988)
Julien Thériault (1988-1993)
Fortunat McGraw (1993-2000)
Roger Duguay et Nicholas Thériault (2000-2002)
Roger Duguay (2002-2004)
David Ferguson (2004-2005)
Daniel LeClair (2005-
Regent Landry
Source
*
Individual or other source of this church record
: Entre Baie et Peninsula History de Neguac by Maurice Basque 1991 M. Weekend Nov. 29, 1961.
Date added
Date on which this recrod was added to the database if known
2020/3/25
Added by
User name of person that entered this information into the database (if known)
faye.baisley
Revised
The last time that this record was updated.
2021/1/13
Revised by
The person that last made changes to this record
faye.baisley
Back
Print Preview